Lead Data Engineer (Investments), Baltimore, MD
Our client is seeking a Lead Data Engineer (Investments) for a direct hire opportunity in Baltimore, MD.
Our client is seeking an accomplished Senior Data Engineer who is committed to building and supporting data pipelines which are used by the Global Equity Portfolio Management, Quant and Research teams. This is a hands-on role and the ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about data and has a strong desire to create best in class enterprise data solutions. This team will have team members in Baltimore and London, England.
You must demonstrate a willingness to learn new cutting-edge technologies and overcome technical challenges in a fast-paced environment. The role will provide architecture, design, and implementation expertise to a cross-functional team. You will play a key role in supporting and modernizing the legacy Microsoft ETL process and platform into a modern platform which leverages cloud computing and data lake / big data technologies.
Core Capabilities and Attributes
- High achiever who combines ambition with humility and is happy to let their performance do the talking.
- Leadership: Maintain high standards and help to create an environment where people can do their best work.
- Craftsman-like approach to building software; takes pride in engineering. excellence and instills these values within the team and others.
- A proponent of strong collaborative software engineering techniques and methods: Agile development, continuous integration, code review or pairing, unit testing, refactoring and related approaches.
- Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills; demonstrated ability to employ fact-based decision-making to resolve complex problems, by applying experience and business knowledge.
- Possess a passion for technology and staying sharp in your craft by keeping on top of new technologies, tools and trends.
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to establish and maintain a close working relationship with Portfolio Managers, Quantitative researchers, Analysts and senior business people alike.
- High energy, results driven person with strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work well with global teams, including time-zone flexibility.
- Lead/mentor and develop a team of 2 – 3 people.
- Take ownership for the overall planning, execution and success of complex projects.
- Collaborate with your engineering manager to enable a fit-for-purpose application portfolio consistent with the target architecture and operating model.
- Come up with innovative ways to enhance our systems and to make our data-related processes more efficient.
- Participate in time-sensitive projects, and collaborate with your global colleagues to deliver new initiatives.
- Enable improvement of the engineering team through shaping of tools, processes and standards.
- Produce comprehensive, usable dataset documentation and metadata.
- Evaluate and make decisions around dataset implementations designed and proposed by peer data engineers.
- Ensure the validity and accuracy of security-level analytics and risk exposures within the portfolio management and analytics systems, driving consistency and transparency.
- Devise innovative ways to enhance our systems and to make our data-related processes more efficient.
- 7+ years of progressive engineering experience with 2+ years related to data engineering, microservices, frameworks and/or platform development.
- 5+ years coding experience and solid working knowledge of at least one language such as Python, Java or C#.
- 5+ years of business systems analysis or experience working with data and analyzing data.
- Experience designing and delivering frameworks, focused on data pipelines, data catalogs, data distribution, and/or advanced analytics.
- Knowledge of one or more relevant data processing and database technologies e.g. Spark, Presto/Athena, S3, ORC, Redshift, RDS, Aurora, AWS Lambda and Step Functions, SSIS, SNS, SQS, SQL Server, or NoSQL databases.
- Proficient with a range of open source frameworks and development tools – e.g. NiFi, Spark, Git, Jenkins, Maven, etc.
- Proficient on Linux platforms.
- Experience of front office software development with an Asset Management, Hedge fund or Investment Bank.
- Solid working knowledge of Equity analytics platforms (e.g Thompson TQA, S&P Clarify) and Equity instruments, including derivatives.
- Experience building containerized applications and deploying to public or private clouds, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) or similar providers.
- Open source involvement such as a well-curated blog, accepted contribution, or community presence.
- Only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
- No calls, inquiries, or Third Party Vendors please.
- We are an equal opportunity employer (Unable to sponsor H1B Visas).
Since 1988, The ACI Group, a national IT staffing firm, has been committed to hiring the industry’s leading professionals and presenting exciting career opportunities. We have access to varied types of contract, permanent and contract-to-perm positions and offer a choice of employment options including a full benefits package.
Submit your resume for this job