Mid-Level Network Engineer, Rockville, MD
Our client is seeking a Mid-Level Network Engineer for a contract-to-hire opportunity in Rockville, MD.
The engineers will apply standardized and consistent engineering methods to ensure reliability, availability, performance, and security of the enterprise network infrastructure and services.
- Design, deploy and maintain network infrastructure and services; utilizing best practices to include ITIL, Agile, Engineering Life Cycle, and Lean IT principles.
- Monitor, evaluate, analyze and tune network performance including availability, utilization, throughput, and latency.
- Plan and execute the selection, installation, configuration, and testing of equipment.
- Participate in defining network standards and procedures.
- Provide second level support for network service related issue/items across the entire enterprise. Serve as an escalation point in troubleshooting network problems; escalate problems to vendor when necessary.
- Promote IT security throughout the network including through the development of network access control, firewalls, etc.
- Create and maintain documentation including reference architectures, diagrams, SOPs, etc.
- Develop, test, evaluate and execute upgrades, enhancements, and new solutions for network services.
- Act as a subject matter expert for network infrastructure and services.
- 6+ years of experience
- Working knowledge of basic network fundamentals, including but not limited to switching, routing, DNS, DHCP, IPv4, IPv6, subnetting, network segmentation, VLANs, QoS, NAT, firewalls and load balancers
- Experience in all phases of the engineering lifecycle including conceptualization, planning, requirements gathering, design, development, testing, implementation, operations and maintenance
- Ability to drive projects to successful completion in coordination with stakeholders and peers
- Expertise in identifying new networking solutions or improvements to existing network infrastructure and solutions
- Focus on customer service over technology
- Ability and willingness to communicate effectively and appropriately
- Experience engineering and administering:
- network switches and routers, preferably Extreme Networks
- firewalls, preferably Palo Alto
- load balancers, preferably F5
- DHCP/IPAM, preferably Infoblox
- network monitoring and management tools such as Extreme Networks XMC, SolarWinds, and Cacti
- Expertise in the physical infrastructure and environmental considerations of data center and LAN closet facilities, including power, cooling, racks, cable plant and cable management
- Experience in second-level problem identification, diagnosis, and resolution of network problems.
- Ability to provide technical guidance to team members and lower level technicians.
- Working knowledge of endpoints on the network, including workstations (Windows, OS X, Linux), printers, phones, servers, etc
- Experience in network monitoring and management
- Experience with network automation including scripting and the use of APIs
- Understanding and ability to follow industry-proven methodologies, preferably ITIL, Agile, and/or Lean IT
- Network Professional certifications, preferably Extreme Networks or Cisco
- Only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
- No calls, inquiries, or Third Party Vendors please.
- We are an equal opportunity employer (Unable to sponsor H1B Visas).
Since 1988, The ACI Group, a Baltimore-based IT staffing firm, has been committed to hiring the industry’s leading professionals, and presenting exciting career opportunities. We have access to varied types of contract, permanent and contract-to-perm positions and offer a choice of employment options including a full benefits package.