AWS Cloud Solutions Engineer, Remote
Our client is seeking a Cloud Solutions Engineer (AWS) for a contract to hire opportunity on a remote basis.
Due to government public trust requirements, US Citizens or Green Card Holders only.
Our client is seeking an AWS Cloud Solutions Engineer to joining their team to support the mission of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) in Rockville, Md.
As a Cloud Solutions Engineer, you will work closely with twelve other innovative and savvy people to engineer and expand a custom PaaS with new tools and technologies and collaborate regularly with product owners to deploy custom business and scientific applications. You’ll help streamline our operations and processes, and further the adoption of DevOps best practices. A focus on innovation and automating best practices is a plus. To be successful in this role, you will like being a part of a team and be capable of teaching others and explaining the “why” behind complicated technical decisions. In this role, a typical day will include the following:
- Collaborating with product owners (researchers and software developers) to identify and design topologies for custom business and scientific applications in AWS as part of our container PaaS, or as a custom solution; providing guidance for adhering to best practices for optimal and secure use of cloud technologies.
- Assisting development teams in migrating their products from on-prem infrastructure to AWS, which often requires refactoring application architecture and breaking down monolithic applications into micro-service architecture or serverless workloads.
- Training product teams in technologies and frameworks to assist them in setting up the environment, build and deploy applications, and automate operational needs.
- Working together with other Cloud Solutions Engineers or independently to develop prototypes and enhance or expand fundamental capabilities offered in the PaaS, such as CI/CD, infrastructure as code, and containerized or serverless workloads.
- Participating in a daily stand-up meeting to report your accomplishments, plans for the day, and any roadblocks you encountered. Your team will do the same, giving you an opportunity to understand and contribute to other ongoing initiatives.
- Occasionally present to your team or our software developer colleagues, on DevOps best practices, new and interesting cloud technologies, and ways you approached and solved challenging technical issues during our Tech Talks webinar series.
- Primary duties include working with stakeholders to understand long-term program and process vision, documenting, enhancing, and optimizing business processes, and developing measures to monitor process effectiveness.
- This person will also help clarify requirements and propose solutions and roadmaps that meet business milestones to hand off to technical teams for implementation.
- Responsibilities include helping to perform decision analysis and resolution studies, determine high-level estimates, create workflow wireframes and other supporting documentation to help drive the implementation and continuous enhancement of systems projects as well as helping to implement best practices continuous business process and support system improvement.
- Also, provides expertise on continuous process improvement strategies, organizational redesign, change management projects, and performance measures for very complex and multiple business process engagements
- BA/BS or equivalent and eight years related experience or a MS and six years experience.
- Minimum of three years experience with AWS to include working knowledge of commonly used AWS services, such as IAM, VPC, S3, EC2, CloudWatch and CloudTrail, Route 53, RDS, SSM and Lambda.
- Working knowledge of infrastructure as code frameworks such as Terraform or CloudFormation to include writing templates and modules from scratch and experience with configuration management frameworks such as Puppet, Ansible or Chef.
- Strong knowledge of Docker and hands-on experience in containerizing software applications; experience working with container orchestration and deployment platforms such as Kubernetes, AWS EKS or AWS ECS.
- Experience with implementing and managing CI/CD workflows using Jenkins, GitHub Actions, AWS CodeBuild, GoCD or similar tools.
- Experience using and managing Linux distributions including RedHat, Centos, Debian, Ubuntu, or CoreOS/Flatcar.
- Experience analyzing solutions components, understanding systems integration challenges, and identifying technology gaps in current components that must be resolved to reach future performance targets and functionality requirements in cloud infrastructure.
- Ability to get and maintain a Public Trust security clearance level
- Experience with AWS Organizations, Guard Duty, Elasticsearch and Kinesis is a plus.
- Experience with programming languages such as C, C++, and Java is a plus.
- Able to clearly present ideas to both technical and non-technical users and staff to further the adoption of DevOps.
- Experience designing and implementing technologies following NIST standards, such as SP 800-53, SP 800-190, and SP 500-291.
- Only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
- No calls, inquiries, or Third Party Vendors please.
- We are an equal opportunity employer (Unable to sponsor H1B Visas).
Since 1988, The ACI Group, a Baltimore-based IT staffing firm, has been committed to hiring the industry’s leading professionals, and presenting exciting career opportunities. We have access to varied types of contract, permanent and contract-to-perm positions and offer a choice of employment options including a full benefits package.
Submit your resume for this job